Autumn is a featured pattern available in Fat Quarterly Magazine, issue 3.
I’ve even entered this into the FQ contest. (Like I’d ever win – have you seen the work others do!?!)
For the deets:
- Background fabric: cut from a canvas drop cloth I picked up at Home Depot. I like the contrast of the nubby, industrial fabric with the feminine subject and soft details.
- Flosses: DMC, of course. My colors were based on Sweetwater’s Sunkissed fabric lines, which I knew I’d use to complete the pillow. I just wasn’t sure how when I started.
- Floss details: I used all 6 strands for almost everything. I used three ply each of two similar shades of dark brown (3031 & 801) to make her hair look a little more realistic. The black stitching was done with 3 strands. I like to use variegated flosses as often as possible, as I like the way the colors flow. But, sometimes, it ends up a little wonky – check out Autumn’s leg warmers (socks?) – the floss went from a soft, buttery yellow to a pretty ballerina pink – on the backside of the stitching!
- Stitches used: Tons! Split, chain, French knots, backstitch, stem stitch (my version anyway, on her hair and on the swirl)
- Ruffle: from Sunkissed by Sweetwater for Moda Fabrics, available from Fat Quarter Shop.